Re: Unable to kill processes in D-state

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 13:11:02 EST

On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 05:07, Thomas Langås wrote:

> We have a fairly large installation on-campus, and we have some problems
> with the current linux-kernel (and older ones) - namely that processes
> entering D-state will stay there forever (given that the right event got
> them there in the first place). This right event is killing the
> autofs-daemon. Doing this will result in heavy load because of lots
> of D-state processes, and you can't kill any of the D-state processes.
> Why shouldn't one be able to kill processes that has entered D-state?
> We have to reboot our servers to get rid of this problem, and it's
> rather annoying.

Because they are in uninterruptible sleep. They are doing something
important, presumably in a critical section, and have no wake-up path
for signals or errors.

Finally, they probably hold a semaphore. In short, you cannot kill
them, nor would you want to.

I would simplify the question and ask why are you killing the autofs
daemon? Clearly this is a recipe for disaster.

        Robert Love