Re: 2.5 Problem Report Status

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 13:05:49 EST

On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 12:57, Thomas Molina wrote:

> open 04 Oct 2002 scheduling while atomic oops
> 6. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103270005902896&w=2
>
> This appears to be a long-running problem. Is it related to the group of
> problems below involving "function might sleep while holding a lock" or is
> it a scheduling system problem?

This is the same thing as all those "sleeping while atomic"
(might_sleep) bugs below. It is just a debugging check. It does the
same check as might_sleep but during schedule().

If you had specific culprits (i.e. foo() calls bar() which schedules
while foo() holds the baz lock) would be very useful. Otherwise listing
this as a problem is not useful.

> open 29 Sep 2002 Oracle 9.2 goes OOM on startup
> 14. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103333545310595&w=2
>
> This problem was reported for 2.5.39. I have seen neither a followup, nor
> a reference to a fix. Does this problem still exist in 2.5.40?

Should be fixed in bk.

> open 2.5.40 init_irq() function doing unsafe
> things inside ide_lock
> 24. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103316967724891&w=2
>
> Might sleep while holding a lock.

Is this still not fixed? Ugh.

BTW, I like the fact you are listing specific atomicity issues. Thank
you. It is a lot more useful than just saying there are "sleeping while
atomic" bugs.

        Robert Love