Disabling route-cache?

From: CIT/Paul (xerox@foonet.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 11:25:47 EST

To: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'
Subject: Disabling route-cache?

We have some linux routers and wish to disable the route cache. Is there
a way to do that?
The route cache is using so much of the CPU that it is making routing
ineffective. We are routing high
PPS > 100,000 and with the route cache enabled it will not even do half
of that. We tested by creating
a single ip -> ip flow at 100,000 pps and the machine routed it just
fine, however when we create a 100,000 ip -> 100,000 ip test
the machine drops 80% of the packets due to creating and tearing down
massive entries in the route cache.
I wish for it to work like Cisco's CEF with only an adjacency cache and
not a route cache for every flow.
I don't know why it doesn't work this way in the first place. Only the
ip_conntrack should keep track of flows (on a side note
if we enable ip_conntrack the whole machine goes to pot, there's no way
it's going to do it with that module loaded).

Please if anyone has any ideas. Thanks