Unable to kill processes in D-state

From: Thomas Langås (tlan@stud.ntnu.no)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 04:07:05 EST

Hi!

We have a fairly large installation on-campus, and we have some problems
with the current linux-kernel (and older ones) - namely that processes
entering D-state will stay there forever (given that the right event got
them there in the first place). This right event is killing the
autofs-daemon. Doing this will result in heavy load because of lots
of D-state processes, and you can't kill any of the D-state processes.
Why shouldn't one be able to kill processes that has entered D-state?
We have to reboot our servers to get rid of this problem, and it's
rather annoying.

--
Thomas