Re: 2.5.X breaks PS/2 mouse

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 15:52:26 EST

> > Once booted:
> >
> > Hot plugging either the dedicated trackball or a PS/2 mouse generates a message on connection:
>
> Good, this is expected.
>
> > Just to clarify, I am not trying to use them both at the same time.
>
> Not sure if that would work, it might - depends on the notebook keyboard
> controller hardware.

I tried it, and it seems to get really confused - constant stream of seemingly random error messages.

> > X also works with the external PS/2 mouse,
>
> Good.
>
> > but not the dedicated trackball.
>
> What are the exact symptoms?

No data at all from it.

> Does gpm work?

No.

> Does cat /dev/psaux work?

It doesn't say No such device, it just hangs, giving no data for the trackball, but works fine for the generic mouse.

> Does cat /dev/input/mice work?

Yes, it does the same as /dev/psaux

> What does cat /proc/bus/input/devices say in the
> case it doesn't work? ....

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=3

That's for both the generic mouse and the trackball.

John.