Re: Rsync SSH session hang, AGAIN - cancel

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 00:12:52 EST

I didn't think any of the tools that I know, trust, and have used for
years could be failing me, but I hadn't seen quite this failure mode before.

Even though the 'old' system below was reachable via web, ssh command
line sessions, etc., any connection between it and another box on the
same network at the ISP failed after 100-200KB. While there were a few
ethernet errors, nothing seemed to increase much or at all with each ssh
hang. Nevertheless, it was either a cable or hub/switch at the ISP that
was bad. I now theorize that, having a noisy port, the hub/switch
involved would sense an unacceptably bad port and shut it down, but only
when burst transfers were between local boxes. Everything remote was
spaced enough to be below that threshold. After a few seconds of no
activity, the port was apparently unlocked. I knew that switches had
bad port sensing, but had never seen a system on the fence like this.
 It didn't help that these machines were 500 miles away in a colo with
only daytime staff.

Apologies for the premature post.
sdw