Re: export of sys_call_table

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 17:02:40 EST

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 22:39, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
> I see that RH, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to remove
> the export of sys_call_table in 8.0 kernels breaking any loadable
> modules that wish to implement non-implemented system calls such
> as LiS's or iBCS implementation of putmsg/getmsg.

Overwriting syscall table entries is not safe. Its not safe because
there is no locking mechanism, and its not safe because of the pentium
III errata.

> Until now, loadable modules have been able to just overwrite
> the non implemented point in the sys_call_table when they load
> and putting it back when they unload. There is no mechanism
> for registering system calls.

Not actually safely implementable. The right way to do this is a
relevant 2.5 question. In general however you shouldnt need to register
syscalls because the upper layer interfaces already exist (the LiS stuff
is an example otherwise I grant).

Alan