Re: [rfc][patch] driverfs multi-node(board) patch [2/2]

From: Patrick Mochel (mochel@osdl.org)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 16:34:42 EST

Ok, I'm finally getting back to you..

> Ok.. here are the real changes. I'd really like to get some feedback on
> what you (or anyone else) thinks of these proposed changes. This sets
> up a generic topology initialization routine which should discover all
> online nodes (boards), CPUs, and Memory Blocks at boot time. It also
> makes the CPUs and memblks it discovers children of the appropriate nodes.

You didn't append the patch, which is annoying, but I'll deal..

The main problem I have is the code placement. I put the CPU stuff under
arch/ because I anticpate wrapping the cpu structure with an arch-specific
one, so you can ascertain arch-specific information via the generic
structure. Moving it out of arch/ precludes that from happening (easily).

Ditto for memblks, though I'm not really sure what other info you'd want
in the structures.

Ditto+ for nodes, or boards. Those are definitely arch-specific
structures, and shouldn't be in drivers/base/. On top of that, I don't
think their registration should all be munged together in one file. Maybe
they should be, in their own play area (under arch/i386/mach-ccnuma/).

        -pat