Re: Bug in kernel 2.4.19?

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 15:36:03 EST

On 11 Sep 2002, Sergio Costas wrote:

> Hello:

Hi Sergio,

> I think I found a bug in kernel 2.4.19. I enclose all the information
> you say in www.kernel.org
>
> Bug in memory management in kernel 2.4.19
>
> This kernel seems to have a problem when a huge amount of memory is
> allocated by a program. In my case, I work with GIMP, with a picture of
> 5000 x 3500 pixels. When I try to move a 'big' selection (25% or more of
> the surface of the picture), my linux system simply reboots. No kernel
> panic, no hangs, no popups... simply reboots after accessing a lot to
> the hard disk (for memory swapping, of course). There's no problem with
> kernel 2.4.18 (I changed to it after discover this), so it seems to be a
> new bug.

are there any messages in /var/log/syslog or in /var/log/messages that
might be related? Anything else that might give a hint where the problem
comes from?

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of time explaining its a free country because its a police state. Alan Cox