Re: RfC: Don't cd into subdirs during kbuild

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai-germaschewski@uiowa.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 09:27:49 EST

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, John Levon wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:59:00PM -0500, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
>
> > ChangeSet@1.676, 2002-10-02 14:42:00-05:00, kai@tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
> > kbuild: Remove xfs vpath hack
>
> Why is it a hack ?

Since it gives Rules.make the wrong file names in $(obj-[ym]), and relies
on implementation details inside of Rules.make in combination with the
vpath statement to make things work despite those wrong names.

> > xfs.o is built as one modules out of objects distributed into
> > multiple subdirs. That is okay with the current kbuild, you just
> > have to include the path for objects which reside in a subdir, then.
> >
> > xfs used vpath instead of explicitly adding the paths, which is
> > inconsistent and conflicts e.g. with proper module version generation.
>
> So I must name the full path for each object in drivers/oprofile/ I
> include from arch/i386/oprofile/ then ?

So did you decide to move things from drivers/oprofile/$(ARCH) to
arch/$(ARCH)/oprofile? It's possible to make it work, but not pretty. As I
said before, kbuild actually expects to have all parts of a single module
to be in a single dir. This can be lifted a little bit as done for xfs,
but spreading parts all over the tree is not very desirable IMO.

--Kai