IDE subsystem issues with 2.4.18/19

From: Dexter Filmore (Dexter.Filmore@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 07:01:44 EST

Got a motherboard with VIA VT8233 Southbridge (a MSI K7T266 Pro2), Slackware
8.1 with a standard kernel (tried .18 as well as .19) patched with SGI XFS
support, two atapi drives attached with /dev/hdc is Pioneer115 DVD and
/dev/hdd is a Traxdata 24x-writer, both running in scsi emulation.
Got VIA-support compiled in.

Everythings runs fine: reading DVD, reading CD, writing CD.
*Apart from*: CD ripping. When trying to read audio CDs, the system locks up,
can't reproduce the exact error msgs right now, need a running system atm. If
you like, I'll post them later on.

Tried cdparanoia 9.8-III, cdda2wav - nothing works.

I contacted Vojtech Pavlik, the author of the via82xxx.c code who advised me
to ask Alan Cox or Andre Hedrick about this, so I thought best write to this
list.
Are there any workarounds/patches/voodoo magic for this problem?

Dex