Re: AARGH! Please help. IDE controller fsckup

From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk (roy@karlsbakk.net)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 05:25:11 EST

> > so - now - the CMD649 has suddenly begun to fail - losing contact with
> > one or two drives, and I _really_ need to get what's on /data (RAID-5 on
> > hd[efghijklmnop]) out. Problem is - the replacement controller I've got
> > from the vendor works fine (turns up as controller 3 serving hd[mnop]).
> > How can I revert this most easily to be able to boot again?
>
> Hindsight: had you used persistent superblocks, this would not have
> been a problem. The kernel would know the correct ordering from the
> superblocks, not the device names.

I have used presistent superblocks, but md0,1,2,3 will be differently ordered
if I change the disk order... At least I think so. It surely didn't work.

> Solution 1: Write to the RAID mailing list and have one of the mdadm
> gurus give you a one-liner to initialize the array with the proper
> ordering.
>
> Solution 2: Edit your /etc/raidtab to reflect the new device naming and
> run raidstart.

ok. but this won't be neccecary with persistent superblocks? right?

> If you start up the array with a bad ordering, no amount of magic is
> going to bring back you data (after parity has been "reconstructed" on
> various chunks of your existing data).

But ... with persistent superblock - is it possible to fsckup the raid?

> linux-raid is a better place.

I'll mail them. Thanks anyway

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/

Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working when you open Windows.