Re: 2.5.37+ i386 arch split broke external module builds

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 16:13:19 EST

alexamici@tiscali.it said:
> average users may have either a kernel-headers package that matches
> their running kernel and/or a souce package without the configuration
> stuff. in both cases 'the hacker way' doesn't work :)

Often nowadays they'll not have 'kernel-headers' but instead
'glibc-kernheaders' which is littered with '#ifdef __KERNEL__ #error' to
prevent people from doing that.

If you don't have the corresponding source and configuration, you cannot
build a module with any reasonable chance of success -- at least for my
definition of 'reasonable' in the context of shipping drivers to the Great
Unwashed.

> OTOH, for small device drivers you don't need the full blown kernel
> CFLAGS, you know what you need anyway.

Build for Alpha and tell me that again :)

--
dwmw2