Re: 2.5.40: menuconfig: no choice of keyboards

From: Dave Jones (davej@codemonkey.org.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 10:42:39 EST

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:31:25PM +0100, Nick Sanders wrote:

> > Nothing happens if I go to the "Input Device Support" section in
> > menuconf, and pick "Keyboards"; I get no new options. Got around it by
> > manually selecting a keyboard in .config to be able to test it further.
> > Either I chose the wrong one, or it just doesn't build it anyway, 'cause
> > the machine would not respond on boot.
> I think you need 'Serial i/o support' just above the 'Keyboards' option

Quite a few people seem to stumble over the new input layer options.
It's non-obvious to quite a few people that serial i/o is anything to
do with their keyboard. Likewise i8042 doesn't ring 'keyboard' noises
in most peoples heads.

IMO, the input layer options need simplification, or at least
a sensible set of defaults.

                Dave