Re: Swsusp updates, do not thrash ide disk on suspend

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@ucw.cz)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 08:09:34 EST

Hi!

> > > It also seems to be doing things with the device manager. Mind explaining
> > > those changes too?
> >
> > Those are forward port of what we had there already. I make IDE child
> > of PCI device with the controller (in cases its on PCI). That seems
> > logical place for it and we had it like that in 2.5.30 or
> > so. ide-disk.c is there to make disk sleep before we go
> > suspend. Without that, data corruption happens.
>
> I pointed out to you various other device other than disk support
> DMA, and

Well, if even this patch is hard to push through, how hard would it be
to push patch that touches also cdroms etc?

> moving the suspend point up to the mainloop away from the
> subdrivers.

Are you trying to say that you believe that idedisk_suspend could be
same as idecdrom_suspend and idefloppy_suspend?

> This would insure the entire sub-system is out. Why are we block
             ~~~~~~ do you mean ensure?
> after
> the request has been sent to the sub-driver?

We are not block. Certainly *I* am not block ;-). Do you mean "why do
we block"? Which "block" do you have in mind?

> Why do you see this the
> preferred location and not before it enters the system? Given that you
> have stated it does not parse the difference between S3 v/s S4, I am
> graveful concerned.

What problem do you have with no difference between S3 and S4?
                                                                Pavel

--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.