AARGH! Please help. IDE controller fsckup

From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk (roy@karlsbakk.net)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 08:16:46 EST

hi all

I have this cute little server with some 16 120gig IDE drives, and I've got
some serious problems with it.

Controllers:
One onboard IDE controller (2 channels).
Two promise ATA100 (2 channels each).
One CMD649 (2 channels).

something seriously bad about the CMD649 makes Linux beleive it's the first
controller with hd[abcd]. On these, there are two RAID-1s (/ and /var). Due
to the fact that the box has some 1,6TB disk space, we haven't got any backup
solution (we have an identical box in order to mirror them).

so - now - the CMD649 has suddenly begun to fail - losing contact with one or
two drives, and I _really_ need to get what's on /data (RAID-5 on
hd[efghijklmnop]) out. Problem is - the replacement controller I've got from
the vendor works fine (turns up as controller 3 serving hd[mnop]). How can I
revert this most easily to be able to boot again?

I hope this is not too off topic... Please excuse that.

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/

Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working when you open Windows.