Keyboard problems with Linux-2.5.40

From: Krishnakumar B (kitty@cse.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 21:54:50 EST

Hi,

I am using a MS Natural Pro Keyboard with a PS/2 adapter (if I use it as a
USB keyboard I am not able to use it to select the kernel to load i.e use
the keyboard before the kernel is loaded, anybody know how to get around
this ? ) under Linux-2.5.40. I have mapped the multimedia keys available
under this keyboard to start some applications under X. I am having
problems with a couple of keys being unrecognized and one key producing
duplicate behaviour as another. Specifically, I have the following in my
.xmodmaprc file:

/----[ .xmodmap-samba ]
| ! .xmodmap-samba -- Customize Microsoft Natural Pro PC keyboard -*- xrdb -*-
| !
| ! last modified: 19-Oct-2001 Fri 15:03
|
| ! Use the fancy buttons to do some tasks
| !
| keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
| keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
| keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
| keycode 161 = XF86Calculator
| keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
| keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
| keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
| keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
| keycode 178 = XF86HomePage
| keycode 223 = XF86Standby
| keycode 229 = XF86Search
| keycode 230 = XF86Favorites
| keycode 231 = XF86Refresh
| keycode 232 = XF86Stop
| keycode 233 = XF86Forward
| keycode 234 = XF86Back
| keycode 235 = XF86MyComputer
| keycode 236 = XF86Mail
| keycode 237 = XF86AudioMedia

\----

I get the following in my kernel logs when I press XF86AudioMedia or
XF86Refresh. And the window manager doesn't do anything i.e it doesn't
start XMMS or reload the page under the browser

atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) released.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) released.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x120, on isa0060/serio0) released.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) pressed.
atkbd.c: Unknown key (set 2, scancode 0x150, on isa0060/serio0) released.

Also when I press XF86AudioLowerVolume, I get the same behaviour as
XF86HomePage i.e another instance of the browser is started. All other keys
work fine.

Can someone help me with this annoying problem ? Is there any package that
I should upgrade ? Have the keycodes for this keyboard changed with the new
kernel or have I miscompiled the kernel ? None of these problems occur with
Linux-2.4.19.

I am not on this list. So please CC me on any replies.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at cs dot wustl dot edu>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Washington University in St.Louis