Re: [BENCHMARK] 2.5.39-mm1

From: jw schultz (jw@pegasys.ws)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 18:41:25 EST

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 05:49:28PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01 2002, Con Kolivas wrote:

> > > Ah excellent, thanks a lot!

> > > Yes it's an interesting curve. What makes it interesting is that 8 is
> > > better than 16. Both allow one seek to be dispatched, they only differ
> > > in the streamed amount of data we allow to dispatch. 8 will give you
> > > either 1 seek, or 8*256 == 2048 sectors == 1MiB. 16 will give you 1 seek
> > > or 2MiB of streamed I/O.
> > >
> > > Tests with other io benchmarks need to be considered as well. And I need
> > > a bit of time to digest this :-). The 8 vs 16 numbers are not what I
> > > expected.
> >
> > It would seem reasonable to me to assume it may be related to the filesystem
> > in use (in this case ReiserFS). If this is the case it is possible that each
> > different filesystem has a different sweetspot? (and for that matter each
> > piece of hardware, each type of ata driver etc etc..)
> >
> > This was performed on an ATA100 5400rpm drive running ReiserFS. I'm afraid I
> > don't have the hardware to do any other comparisons of different filesystems.
>
> 8 being better than 16 would seem to indicate a slower driver, which
> fits with what you have. The sweet spot for this particular benchmark
> may be 8, that may not be the sweet spot for some other benchmark
> though. 16 will perhaps make a good default, we shall see once more
> benchmarks are done.
>
> I think you'll find that results will be similar on other file systems,
> the io scheduler settings will be more affected by the underlying
> hardware.

Just a thought but might the variability be due to physical
cylinder boundaries?

1-2Mib is very close to cylider size. Getting down below
that range and a significant number of requests might not
cross boundaries affecting latency. Much larger requests
and it will just be an issue of 1 boundary more or less.

	email address:		jw@pegasys.ws