Re: [ANNOUNCE] EVMS Release 1.2.0

From: Kevin Corry (corryk@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 16:19:10 EST

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 15:13, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 08:18:19AM -0500, Kevin Corry wrote:
> > If you have any additional comments, please let us know.
>
> There are still a large number of improper variable names, and quite a
> few typedefs throughout the kernel patch. I thought these were going to
> be fixed?

I had thought most of them were fixed as well.

Looking at the 2.5 code, I found one left-over typedef in ldev_mgr.c, which I
have just fixed. There are some in the cluster plugin (evms_ecr.c and
evms_ecr.h), but at the moment that is just a proposed clustering interface,
since there is no actual cluster support yet. It is likely those files will
change as the clustering support is added, so they will get cleaned up along
the way. The rest of the typedef's I'm seeing are all in the OS/2 and S/390
plugins, which as I mentioned in the first announcement haven't been ported
to 2.5 yet, and thus haven't gone through any cleanup. When those get ported
to 2.5, I'll make sure they are cleaned up.

As for improper variable names, can you give me a better idea of where you
are seeing them? Any specific examples?

> Also, is there any documentation on why the md code was reimplemented
> within evms, instead of using the existing kernel code?

It had to be reimplemented in order to fit into the plugin model in EVMS. We
had many requests from our users about a year ago to support the MD metadata,
so we added it by porting the existing MD kernel code to an EVMS plugin. Mike
Tran has been keeping up with Neil Brown's latest MD code for 2.5, in an
attempt to not greatly diverge the code. I believe Mike intends to talk with
Neil at some point about seeing if there is a way to provide a common set of
code/services that could be used by both MD and EVMS.

--
Kevin Corry
corryk@us.ibm.com