Re: Generic HDLC interface continued

From: Francois Romieu (romieu@cogenit.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 13:01:47 EST

Krzysztof Halasa <khc@pm.waw.pl> :
[...]
> Please note that there is no call which could return the protocol
> (or interface type) without copying the whole data - thus the caller
> (utility) is unable to skip unknown interfaces.

Ok, the 'type' attribute isn't enough.

I feel like we are trying to do two things at the same time:
a) the size of the allocated area isn't required if we need to do something
   real with the data: if size doesn't match what is expected, we loose
   anyway
b) if we don't care about the copied data, we actually ask for the subtype
   of the interface

-> a) and b) are two different operations imho.

--
Ueimor