Re: USB IEEE1284 gadgets and ppdev

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 10:35:53 EST

Tim Waugh wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 08:01:29AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>

>>I understand that the uss720 driver should register with parport, as
>>it is a USB to parallel port adapter, but the usblp driver should
>>not, as it is just a pass-through to a printer. Do you see any
>>advantage to having usblp registering with parport?
>>

>Well, it would mean that ppdev could use it. I understand that only a
>few functions of a normal parallel port could be implemented (read,
>write, get status).
>
>Alternatively I suppose I could get libieee1284 to grok /dev/usb/lp*.
>Steve---would that solve the problem that you're running into?
>
>Tim.
>*/

Well, the application is this. A lot of industrial control, embedded
processor development interfaces, and other stuff use a parallel port to
connect to a PC. The parallel port has gone from some notebooks, and is
soon to go from desktops too. I want to access some of those devices
through a USB to IEEE1284 cable. If the programming interface is ppdev,
that is great - no changes needed for code that already works with a
real parallel port. If it requires a somewhat different API, that's no
big deal. Being able to bit twiddle to the extent that ppdev allows is
pretty important, though. I guess there may be some latency issues
slowing the bit twiddling across a USB interface, but nothing's perfect.

Regards,
Steve