Re: qsbench, interesting results

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 09:05:15 EST

On Monday 30 September 2002 07:57, Andrew Morton wrote:
> I'll take a look at some preferential throttling later on. But
> I must say that I'm not hugely worried about performance regression
> under wild swapstorms. The correct fix is to go buy some more
> RAM, and the kernel should not be trying to cater for underprovisioned
> machines if that affects the usual case.

The operative phrase here is "if that affects the usual case". Actually,
the quicksort bench is not that bad a model of a usual case, i.e., a
working set 50% bigger than RAM. The page replacement algorithm ought to
do something sane with it, and swap performance ought to be decent in
general, since desktop users typically have less than 1/2 GB. With media
apps, bloated desktops and all, it doesn't go as far as it used to.

My impression is that page replacement just hasn't gotten a lot of
attention recently, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's tuning,
not a feature.

The sort failure is something to worry about though - that's clearly a
bug.

--
Daniel