Re: v2.6 vs v3.0

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 07:38:38 EST

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I do that, but it doesn't make for a storage medium I can easily use on
> another system. The cost of DVD writers is coming down, and non-magnetic
> media may have some advantages as well. Still, thay're small compared to
> disk sizes.

There are big drives available if you really want one (and can afford
one, which is the bigger problem usually).

Tandberg has some big SLR drives (50 GB native data, maybe even more,
didn't check for some months), many companies have DLT and SuperDLT that
store several dozen GB each, then there's Ultrium, and if you're after
cheap stuff, there's also ADR (but there are some that require the osst
driver, which is not helpful if you need to support other OSs beyond
Windows and Linux). This list is not complete, and it deliberately omits
helical scan technologies such as DDS.