Re: Kernel call chain search tool?

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 14:07:38 EST

On Thursday 26 September 2002 12:17 pm, Dan Kegel wrote:

> If only the darn program didn't have so many threads, RLIMIT_AS
> or the no-overcommit patch would be perfect. I unfortunately can't
> get rid of the threads, so I'm stuck trying to figure out some way
> to kill the right program when the system gets low on memory.
>
> Maybe I should look at giving the OOM killer hints?

The OOM killer should certainly know about threads and thread groups. If you
kill one thread, you generally have to kill the whole group because there's
no way of knowing if that thread was holding a futex or otherwise custodian
of critical data and thus you just threw the program into la-la land.

> - Dan

Rob