Re: Very High Load, kernel 2.4.18, apache/mysql

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 20:28:23 EST

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Roger Larsson wrote:

> Have you been able to determine if it is I/O bound or CPU bound?
> Or maybe using to much CPU to do I/O?
>
> Does anyone know what virtual memory system does Mandrake uses?

If it's IO bound, it's quite possible the problem is the disk
elevator and Andrew Morton's read-latency2 patch might help
somewhat (if the system is heavy on both reads and writes).

If the system is short on RAM and/or swapping, that might be
a VM thing or just a shortage of RAM...

It would make sense to study the output of top and vmstat for
a few hours to identify exactly what the problem is, instead
of trying to fix all kinds of random things that aren't the
core problem.

regards,

Rik

Spamtraps of the month: september@surriel.com trac@trac.org