Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1

From: Hui (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 05:20:31 EST

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 05:41:37PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> It is not generally accepted that a 1-on-1 model is superior but our
> tests showed the viability of this approach and by comparing it with
> the overhead added by existing M-on-N implementations we became
> convinced that 1-on-1 is the right approach.

Maybe not but...

You might like to try a context switching/thread wakeup performance
measurement against FreeBSD's libc_r. I'd imagine that it's difficult
to beat a system like that since they keep all of that stuff in
userspace since it's just 2 context switches and a call to their
thread-kernel.

I'm curious as to the rough numbers you got doing the 1:1 and M:N
comparison.

bill