Re: Possible bug and question about ide_notify_reboot in 2.4.19

From: Alex Davis (alex14641@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 13:28:04 EST

>Putting the drive in stand-by mode has the side effect of flushing
>the cache.
Maxtor's tech support says this is NOT true.

>So before poweroff, send the FLUSH CACHE command,
>then send the standby command, hope that one of them works ..
Problem is we're currently flushing the cache AFTER we do
standby...

>I put put-the-drive-in-standby-mode stuff in halt.c of sysvinit
>after several reports of fs corruption at poweroff and it seems
>to have fixed the problems for the people who reported them.
That code is only executed if the '-h' option is passed to halt:
Some distros (namely Slackware 7.x) pass the '-p' option instead
(look in /etc/rc.d/rc.0).

Ok how about this: I'm current testing some patches against
ide.c and friends. Why don't I just add ( and document ) a
define called NO_STANDBY_ON_SHUTDOWN which would live in
ide.c. By default it would not be defined. Then I just wrap
the standby code in an '#ifndef NO_STANDBY_ON_SHUTDOWN..#endif'
block.