Configuring kernel

From: Srinivas Chavva (chavvasrini@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 13:47:15 EST

I have Linux RedHat 7.1 installed on my machine which
has a kernel version 2.4.2. I have to run a software
called iSCSI for which I need a lower kernel version
2.4.16.
I downloaded the sofware and opened it in the /usr/src
directory. I did the following
1. unzipped the tar file
2. mv linux linux-2.4.16
3 ln -s linux-2.4.16 linux
4. changed to linux directory and issued the command
make mproper.
Then when I issued the command make xconfig I was
getting errors. I got similar errors when I tried to
use the following commands make menuconfig, make
config.
When I used the command uname -i I still was getting
the kernel version as 2.4.2.
I do not know why this error is coming.

Kindly please help.
Regards,