Re: Killing/balancing processes when overcommited

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 07:54:21 EST

On Friday 13 September 2002 07:53 am, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On 11 September 2002 16:08, Jim Sibley wrote:
> > resource
> > group priority kill priority
> > system 0 0 - never
> > kill support 1 1
> > payroll 2 2
> > production 3 3
> > general user 4 4
> > production backgournd 5 3
>
> ^^^
> make sure testing and general user are
> killed BEFORE production
>
> > testing 6 5
>
> I like this. Maybe map it to user gid and provide /proc interface?
>
> Let's say on your server you allocated gids this way:
> 0 - system
> 100 - support
> 110 - payroll
> 120 - production
> 200 - general user
> 130 - production background
> 500 - testing
>
> # echo "0 100 110 120 200 130 500" >/proc/resourceprio
> # echo "0 100 110 120 130 200 500" >/proc/killprio

Don't base it on gid. Remember, a user can be a member of multiple
gids for file access. At this point you may get a payroll/production
conflict, or a production/production background conflict.

You really have to use a resource accounting structure that allows
one and only one id per process. A user may (like groups) have
access to multiple resource accounts, but a given process should
only have one.

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil