Re: XFS?

From: Remco Post (r.post@sara.nl)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 04:53:20 EST

On vrijdag, september 13, 2002, at 09:47 , Ivan Ivanov wrote:

> XFS and JFS are designed for large multiprocessor machines powered by
> UPS
> etc., where the risk of power fail, or some kind of tecnical problem is
> veri low.

Hmm, not entirely true. We run (C)XFS on Irix on our 1024 CPU SGI Origin
3800 box over here. Every few weeks the @$%#@ thing breaks, (CPU, bad
memory that kind of things). This takes down at least one partition of
the system, and sometimes a filesystem (or all filesystems). Without the
journaling features of XFS we'd spend all of our uptime fsck-ing. What
I'm saying, big box with lots of parts has a lot of parts that could
possible break....

> On the other side Linux works in much "risky" environment - old
> machines, assembled from "yellow" parts, unstable power suply and so on.
>
> With XFS every time when power fails while writing to file the entire
> file
> is lost. The joke is that it is normal according FAQ :)
> JFS has the same problem.
> With ReiserFS this happens sometimes, but much much rarely. May be v4
> will
> solve this problem at all.

Of course, loosing a file during a crash is not nice, but often the
whole job has to be rerun, at least from it's last checkpoint, so
loosing one file is not a problem. The same is true for most of the
desktop work, it's much clearer to a user not to find his/her file in
place, than a 'maybe corrupted' version.

> The above three filesystems have problems with badblocks too.
>
> So the main problem is how usable is the filesystem. I mean if a company
> spends a few tousand $ to provide a "low risky" environment, then may be
> it will use AIX or IRIX, but not Linux.
> And if I am running a <$1000 "server" I will never use XFS/JFS.

A few 1000 $ do not buy you an IRIX or a AIX box with support. So,
spending that money wisely buys you a nice Linux box, decent hardware
and a decent FS. Even in our very well protected environment, the
no-break powersupply is able to fail in the most horrible way( thoiug
that happend only once in over 20 years), having a robust FS is a must.
There is a world of possibilities between spending $200 at Walmart for a
low-end pc and >>$5k for your low-end IBM box. For 'small' servers that
people will want to depend on, a decent FS is a must.

Now if XFS was as non-intrusive as FreeVFS, it probbably whould have
been part of the main stream a long time ago. Unfortunately the XFS
people wanted to provide functions not in the VFS layer... Now maybe if
we cut that problem in two parts: filesystem and functional (dmapi
IIRC), the intrusion into the VFS layer would not be taken as bad as it
had been as it has been in the past....

- ---
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing Tel. +31 20 592 8008 Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP keys at http://home.sara.nl/~remco/keys.asc

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams