Init - how does it work?

From: Johan Brodin (d98jobro@dtek.chalmers.se)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 09:27:36 EST

Hi!

I am new to this list, so I will take one second to present myself.
My name is Johan and I am a 23-year old student at Chalmers university of
technology in Sweden. The reason for joining this list is that I am
currently doing my Master Thesis Project in Computer Science and
Engineering. My thesis is namned "Design of dependable distributed
UNIX-based systems" and one issue that I am looking into is process
supervision.

I tried to configure init to start and respawn processes and this worked
great, no problems at all, but what really would make me happy is if
someone of all you subscribers to this list could explain how this feature
(respawn) works. How is init told that it must respawn the process? and
such things! If someone could find the time to help me out, I would be
very grateful.

Thanks!
/Johan