Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 10:06:36 EST

"Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@aracnet.com> writes:

> >> I'm not sure that's entirely true in this case - the Netfinity
> >> 8500R is slightly unusual in that it has 3 or 4 PCI buses, and
> >> there's 4 - 8 gigabit ethernet cards in this beast spread around
> >> different buses (Troy - are we still just using 4? ... and what's
> >> the raw bandwidth of data we're pushing? ... it's not huge).
> >>
> >> I think we're CPU limited (there's no idle time on this machine),
> >> which is odd for an 8 CPU 900MHz P3 Xeon,
> >
> > Quite possibly. The P3 has roughly an 800MB/s FSB bandwidth, that must
> > be used for both I/O and memory accesses. So just driving a gige card at
> > wire speed takes a considerable portion of the cpus capacity.
> >
> > On analyzing this kind of thing I usually find it quite helpful to
> > compute what the hardware can theoretically to get a feel where the
> > bottlenecks should be.
>
> We can push about 420MB/s of IO out of this thing (out of that
> theoretical 800Mb/s).

Sounds about average for a P3. I have pushed the full 800MiB/s out of
a P3 processor to memory but it was a very optimized loop. Is
that 420MB/sec of IO on this test?

> Specweb is only pushing about 120MB/s of
> total data through it, so it's not bus limited in this case.

Note quite. But you suck at least 240MB/s of your memory bandwidth with
DMA from disk, and then DMA to the nic. Unless there is a highly
cached component. So I doubt you can effectively use more than 1 gige
card, maybe 2. And you have 8?

> Of course, I should have given you that data to start with,
> but ... ;-)
>
> PS. This thing actually has 3 system buses, 1 for each of the two
> sets of 4 CPUs, and 1 for all the PCI buses, and the three buses
> are joined by an interconnect in the middle. But all the IO goes
> through 1 of those buses, so for the purposes of this discussion,
> it makes no difference whatsoever ;-)

Wow the hardware designers really believed in over-subscription.
If the busses are just running 64bit/33Mhz you are oversubscribed.
And at 64bit/66Mhz the pci busses can easily swamp the system
533*4 ~= 2128MB/s.

What kind of memory bandwidth does the system have, and on which
bus are the memory controllers? I'm just curious

Eric