Re: [RFC] Multi-path IO in 2.5/2.6 ?

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 19:21:04 EST

On Monday September 9, James.Bottomley@steeleye.com wrote:

> Well, neither of the people most involved in the development (that's Neil
> Brown for md in general and Ingo Molnar for the multi-path enhancements) made
> any comments---see if you can elicit some feedback from either of them.

I'm fairly un-interested in multipath. I try not to break it while
tidying up the generic md code, but apart from that I leave it alone.

For failover, I suspect that md is an appropriate place for multipath,
though it would be nice to get more detail error information from the
lower levels.

For load balancing you really need something lower down, just below
the elevator would seem right: at the request_fn level rather than
make_request_fn.

But all that has pretty much been said.

NeilBrown