2.4.18 serial drops characters with 16654

From: Dan Christian (dchristian@mail.arc.nasa.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 17:22:16 EST

I've got a 2.4.18-10 (RedHat) running on a 2 processor Athlon (1.5Ghz).

If I send data over a PCI 16654 serial card (Connect Tech Blue Heat) and
RTSCTS flow control is used, characters are dropped. The drops are
pretty consistent. As far as I can tell, the data can only be lost in
the driver (I'm re-trying the write until all the data gets out).

If I use a 16550, then everything is fine. Unfortunely, I can't get rid
of the 16654s.

If is use a 1 processor Athlon running 2.4.9-34 (RedHat), then
everything is fine.

I haven't been about to test the 2.4.18 SMP system in single processor
mode, because the IO-APIC goes nuts. But that's another bug...

Anybody know why the serial driver is losing data?

I'm not on linux-kernel, so please reply directly.

-Dan