Re: Block size problem

From: OGAWA Hirofumi (hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 12:58:51 EST

Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> writes:

> Hello,
>
> my friend has a following problem: He has FAT filesystem on MO disk
> and computer with SCSI drive reading MO disk. The problem is that
> smallest blocksize supported by the driver is larger than 512 bytes
> which FAT needs. What is the right solution?

AFAIK, since originally FAT driver also isn't supporting blocksize
smaller than device sector size, I think he should use blocksize
larger than device sector size.

for example,

    $ mkdosfs -S 2048 /dev/xxx

> Another solution I though about is creating loopback directly to
> device but loopback device supports only blocksize same as
> underlying device... So do you think it would be nice/useful if
> loopback device supported any blocksize?

Since it isn't the problem of only FAT, I think it would be useful.

--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>