syslogd: recvfrom inet: resource temporarily unavailable

From: Rechenberg, Andrew (ARechenberg@shermanfinancialgroup.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 10:14:55 EST

I am using a Dell PowerEdge 2300 running Red Hat Linux 7.2 for a
syslog consolidation machine. It is also our network monitoring
system and it runs Cricket, NMIS, and cflowd and Flowscan for Cisco
NetFlow collection.

Lately the machine has been running extremely slow whenever anything
that happens on the box needs to syslog something (su, logins, etc.).
I've checked /var/log/messages and it repeatedly contains the
following line:

Sep 6 14:23:54 cinshrnms02 syslogd: recvfrom inet: Resource
temporarily unavailable

Notice the Recv-Q for the syslog port (UDP 514) in the netstat output
below. The box does A LOT of SNMP polls as well as receives syslogs
from about 6-8 Cisco routers (3600 series and 7100 series) on T1 and
DS3 links.

My question is are there any compile-time or run-time options (via
/proc) that I can tweak to get better syslog/UDP performance out of
the box? Is there anything else at which I should be looking?

It's an old box (cpuinfo, meminfo, kernel info below), but I was
having similar problems on a quad Xeon 700 with 2GB RAM. I've already
upped /proc/sys/fs/file-max and /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range

I may just need beefier hardware, but I wanted to see if there was
anything else I could tweak before we spend cash :)

Thanks for your assistance,
Andy.

Andrew Rechenberg
Infrastructure Team, Sherman Financial Group
arechenberg @ shermfin.com

syslogd CMD line: syslogd -m 0 -r -x
RPM: sysklogd-1.4.1-4
Kernel: RH 2.4.7-10

/proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 397.958
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 794.62

/proc/meminfo

        total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 525684736 416747520 108937216 315392 90697728 265424896
Swap: 534601728 0 534601728
MemTotal: 513364 kB
MemFree: 106384 kB
MemShared: 308 kB
Buffers: 88572 kB
Cached: 259204 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 24156 kB
Inact_dirty: 323928 kB
Inact_clean: 0 kB
Inact_target: 712 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 513364 kB
LowFree: 106384 kB
SwapTotal: 522072 kB
SwapFree: 522072 kB
NrSwapPages: 130518 pages

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State
tcp 0 0 10.1.1.56:8192 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2056 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:21 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:23 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:34330 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 10.1.1.56:8697 10.1.1.72:6101
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 10.1.1.56:8696 10.1.1.72:6101
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 10.1.1.56:80 10.1.1.91:2878
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 10.1.1.56:22 10.1.1.35:37303
ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 10.1.1.56:22 10.1.1.140:1399
ESTABLISHED
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
udp 41056 0 0.0.0.0:514 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2055 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:69 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:69 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:734 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1243
/usr/local/arts/etc/cflowdtable.socket
unix 3 [ ] DGRAM 56399 /dev/log
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1015 /dev/gpmctl
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1125
/tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1257
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 56409
unix 2 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 55406
unix 2 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 53649
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 14449
unix 2 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 2272
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 1347
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1304
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1303
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1301
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1300
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1297
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1296
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1281
/tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1280
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1284
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 1260
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 1185
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 1176
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 1128
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 996
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 813
unix 2 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 481

Andrew Rechenberg
Infrastructure Team, Sherman Financial Group
arechenberg@shermanfinancialgroup.com
Phone: 513.677.7809
Fax: 513.677.7838