Re: One more bio for for floppy users in 2.5.33..

From: Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.frus.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 09:08:39 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Oh, well. I don't seem to be the only one who doesn't use the dang things
> any more. The floppy driver has been broken in 2.5.x for half a year or
> whatever, and there weren't _that_ many people who ever even mentioned it.

Oh, we're out here alright... I didn't speak up (until now) for several
reasons:

(a) development kernel == things break.
(b) when things break, people squawk -- I hardly expected that I'd need
    to add my voice to the "me too" chorus (bad form, don't you know?).
(c) broken things tend to get fixed quickly, which is another way of
    saying I have faith in the developers' abilities :-).

Anyway, floppy support is still reasonably important to me. I've got a
few legacy systems that cannot boot from from CD-ROM, and a 3.5" floppy
is still handy for small sneaker-net transfers between non-networked
machines.

Thanks for reading...