Re: LMbench2.0 results

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 15:02:04 EST

On Saturday 07 September 2002 18:20, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I've just ran lmbench2.0 on my laptop.
> > Here the results (again, 2.5.33 seems to be "slow", I don't know why...)
> >

> The fork/exec/mmap slowdown is the rmap overhead. I have some stuff
> which partialy improves it.

It only seems like a big deal if you get out your microscope and focus on
the fork times. On the other hand, look at the sh times: the rmap setup
time gets lost in the noise. The latter looks more like reality to me.

I suspect the overall performance loss on the laptop has more to do with
several months of focussing exclusively on the needs of 4-way and higher
smp machines.

--
Daniel