md reconstruction hanging in kernel 2.4.19

From: Ryan Underwood (nemesis-lists@icequake.net)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 16:43:54 EST

Hi,

I just installed a new (old) system with Debian woody, and compiled and installed
kernel 2.4.19.

The mainboard is an Intel PR440FX with last bios. The CPUs are dual Pentium
Pro 200 1MB. (The kernel is compiled with SMP support.) 256MB of EDO ECC memory
on a single Crucial stick.

Two Maxtor D740X (hde, hdg) 80G drives are attached to an Iwill SIDE-RAID66 (bios 1.09)
in PCI slot 1. An 18GB 10K IBM drive (sda) is attached to the onboard AIC-7880.
A Matrox 2mb video card is in PCI slot 2.

The SIDE-RAID66 is a HPT368 chip, not using the BIOS RAID at all.

/home, /usr /var are on the SCSI drive. / is on hde5, and /tmp is on hdg5.

So there's the system, here's the problem.

I created two partitions of equal size on each ATA drive (hde6, hdg6). I
rebooted, then I created a RAID mirror using raidtools2. As the mirror began
to contstruct, I watched the output of /proc/mdstat with a script. However,
the reconstruction seems to "hang" after a few minutes. What I mean by "hang"
is that I can still hit enter and get a new line on the current console,
and I can switch virtual consoles, but the reconstruction stops, ssh stops
responding, and the system ignores any further input. I have to hit reset
to get the system back. Upon rebooting, the raid begins reconstruction again,
and the system "hangs" again, forcing an endless cycle requiring single user
mode to correct (by disabling the md modules from loading).

There is no errors onscreen, nothing in the logs, and no oops, BUG, or panic.
It also is not hung hard. It still accepts input, but just stops responding
to it. (Does this make sense?) The virtual console blanker still works
too. :)

I've never seen this happen before on a Linux system, so I'm kinda hard up
for ideas as to how to narrow the problem down. ksymoops and the rest of
the normal procedure don't seem to apply here.

I tried passing the noapic kernel option with little to no success. Are
there any SMP issues to be aware of with the md driver?

Below are snippets of the system's config:

/etc/raidtab:
raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level 1
        nr-raid-disks 2
        nr-spare-disks 0
        chunk-size 4
        persistent-superblock 1
        device /dev/hde6
        raid-disk 0
        device /dev/hdg6
        raid-disk 1

mount:
/dev/hde5 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/fd0 on /mnt type vfat (rw)

kernel config is attached.

Any ideas, or even ideas on how to narrow down the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253