RFC: /proc/pci removal?

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 07:17:17 EST

Hi,

I seem to vaguely remember that a while ago (2.3 days?) there was
discussion about removing /proc/pci in favour of the lspci output,
however there doesn't seem much in google groups about it (and marc
seems useless with non-alphanumeric searches.)

Can anyone remember the consensus? I seem to remember it wasn't
removed for 2.4 because certain distros rely on /proc/pci rather
than using pciutils.

I'm asking this question for purely self-centered reasons; I'd
personally rather get bug reports with the output of lspci -vv
and lspci -vvb rather than /proc/pci. On machines where bus
addresses != kernel cookies, lspci is more than invaluable.

(Ok, so we could "fix" the bug reporters to stop whinging about
having to "port" lspci to their hardware, but that is a larger,
harder problem to solve.)

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux