Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ext3 vs Reiserfs benchmarks

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 15:34:53 EST

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 12:21, Dax Kelson wrote:
> Tested:
>
> ext3 data=ordered
> ext3 data=writeback
> reiserfs
> reiserfs notail
>
> http://www.gurulabs.com/ext3-reiserfs.html
>
> Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

postmark is an interesting workload, but it does not do fsync or renames
on the working set, and postfix does lots of both while delivering.
postmark does do a good job of showing the difference between lots of
files in one directory (great for reiserfs) and lots of directories with
fewer files in each (better for ext3).

Andreas Dilger already mentioned -o data=journal on ext3, you can try
the beta reiserfs patches that add support for data=journal and
data=ordered at:

ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mason/patches/data-logging

They improve reiserfs performance for just about everything, but
data=journal is especially good for fsync/O_SYNC heavy workloads.

Andrew Morton sent me a benchmark of his that tries to simulate
postfix. He has posted it to l-k before but a quick google search found
dead links only, so I'm attaching it. What I like about his synctest is
the results are consistent and you can play with various
fsync/rename/unlink options.

-chris