Re: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 15:19:12 EST

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> >cdrecord should use the CDROM_SEND_PACKET ioctl, then it would
> >work regardless,
>
> Wis you ever look at the cdrecord sources?
>
> Cdrecord relies on libscg which is a generic SCSI transport library.
> It has been first written in August 1986 when I wrote the first SCSI
> pass through driver (for SunOS-3.0) - long before Adapted came out with
> ASPI. In the 16 years of evolution, it has been ported to > 30
> different platforms (not including CPU variants like sparc/x86).
>
> If you force cdrecord to rely on CD-ROM only interfaces, you make Linux
> unusable in general. Do you really like to create an unusable Linux just
> to avoid creating a usable generic SCSI transport interface?
> Jörg
>
> EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
> js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
> schilling@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling
> -

As much as I hate IDE, IDE isn't going away. All my systems use SCSI
so on machines that have CD/ROMS, I use your libraries and your tools.

Maybe somebody should make CD/ROM code that directly talks to IDE via
/dev/hdwhatever, instead of expecting you to modify your code that
has worked so well for so long.

SCSI, and your CD/ROM code isn't broken. It does not need to be fixed.
IDE drives are not SCSI drives. They shouldn't be logically connected
at any level below 'block-device'. Some block devices are like SCSI,
both the Fire-wire drives and USB drives are, for instance. IDE drives
are like floppies. You write controller-specific commands to the
controller(s). They don't belong 'connected' to SCSI in any logical
way.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

                 Windows-2000/Professional isn't.