Re: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 00:11:34 EST

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Nice, so you still have to strip and export to the transport layer.
>
> Please expand on what you are going to talk to packetized and the
> associated transport protocol restricted to the scope of storage.
>
> Next count all the different personalitys associated with the discrete
> transport layer.
>
> If you are referring to Jens' pktcdvd interface out of block, it is no
> more than a bypass of dealing with scsi. It would allow direct access to
> the physical transport without portions of OS mucking up things as it does
> now.

I'm talking specifically about ATAPI devices here. As we have already
covered, not all ATA devices are ATAPI, but unless I'm completely off
the wall, ATAPI is SCSI over IDE, and should be able to be driven as
such. The lack of access to that interface using the established
interface mechanisms just bites.

        -hpa