Re: [2.4 patch] document that cmd64x.c supports the CMD649 and CMD680chipsets

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 06:27:09 EST

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> CMD680 will be extracted out to siiimage.c as it is a differnet driver
> with dual transport modes. I just need to resort patches first.

I suspect this change won't be included in 2.4.19. Since 2.4.19 is a
stable kernel and the change is pretty easy revertible I hope you don't
disagree on including my small patch.

The typical scenario I've already seen if such a patch was missing is:
- "My disk is very slow/slower than under Windows."
- it turns out the disk doesn't use DMA
- the self-compiled kernel doesn't include the IDE driver for the chipset
  in the computer because:
  - "HPT366 chipset support" doesn't sound like the right option for a
    HPT370
  - CMD649 isn't listed as a supported chipset

Compared to the work needed to write the code to support a chipset these
small documentation updates to Config.in and
$(TOPDIR)/Documentation/Configure.help are really small - but they are
important for users to benefit from the driver.

> Cheers,

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of time explaining its a free country because its a police state. Alan Cox