Re: [OKS] Kernel release management

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 08:35:55 EST

Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> writes:

> If stuff in 2.5 wasn't soo broken (looking at IDE here) then more people
> would be using it, and less people would be wanting the 2.5 features back
> ported to 2.4. IMHO, at the moment 2.5 has a major problem. It is not
> getting the testing it deserves because things like IDE and such like
> aren't reasonably stable enough.

I have to second RMK's complaint. Testing 2.5 (in this case with x86-64)
is a major problem unless you're lucky enough to find a SCSI adapter
and a SCSI disk. IDE just deadlocks and hangs too often. This prevents
testing everything else and stops development in 2.5 for many things.
I don't think the 2.5 release cycle can afford to lose the testers who
only have IDE machines.

-Andi