Re: Device Model Docs

From: Arnd Bergmann (arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 09:26:21 EST

Patrick Mochel wrote:

> Everyone is encouraged to have a look. Feel free to send me comments,
> corrections, or patches.

In binding.txt, you write:
> Upon the successful completion of probe, the device is registered with
> the class to which it belongs. Device drivers belong to one and only
> class, and that is set in the driver's devclass field.

I have two drivers (drivers/s390/char/tape.c and drivers/s390/net/ctcmain.c)
that might have problems with this. S390 tapes are available through two
interfaces, a character device implementing the standard tape interface
and a block device that allows you to mount a filesystem written to a tape
(unlike most tape drives, they allow random access reads).

CTC (channel to channel) is a point-to-point connection between two machines
and can be used either as a tty device or as a network device.

Do you have any idea how I can map this to correct driver classes?

        Arnd <><