Re: lilo/raid?

From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk (roy@karlsbakk.net)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 05:02:46 EST

> > What is the reason of using swap for cache buffers?????
>
> To be precise - swap is never used _for_ cache buffers - you'll
> never see file contents in the swap partition, perhaps with
> the exception of tmpfs stuff.
>
> But aggressive caching may indeed push other stuff into swap,
> typically little-used program memory.

ok.
tell me, then

When having an http-server-of-choice (tried several), I start downloading
10-50 files at 4Mbps. After some time, the server OOMs. The only processes
running are syslog, nfs daemons (idle) and the web server. This happens
without swap or with swap (1gig swap - fills up, and the server dies).

My last thread about it was "[BUG] 2.4 VM sucks. Again". After a rather
experimental patch my akpm, the problem was solved.

<snip>

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working when you open Windows.