Re: [RFC] 4KB stack + irq stack for x86

From: David Mosberger (davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 16:19:02 EST

  Uli> So in the case of 8K page size, you need an order-2 allocation
  Uli> for the stack, right? How do you handle failures due to
  Uli> fragmentation?

We don't do anything special. I'm not sure what the fragmentation
statistics look like on machines with 1+GB memory; it's something I
have been wondering about and hoping to look into at some point (if
someone has done that already, I'd love to see the results). In
practice, every ia64 linux distro as of today ships with 16KB page
size, so you only get order-1 allocations for stacks.

        --david