Re: FUD or FACTS ?? but a new FLAME!

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz (B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 07:11:28 EST

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
>
> > Only in piix driver (Intel & Efar) and user have to explicitly compile
> > support for it, it have nothing to do with kernel version and everything
> > with driver version.
>
> And you forgot about the removal of the bad drive lists.
>
> > > The effect is the following. "LINUS are you listening?"
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Andre, you forgot to cc Linus ;)
>
> I don't bother, he will not listen.
>
> > > Maybe now people will understand why 2.5 is falling apart and it is not
> > > Martin's fault. He is just getting bad information and bad patches.
> >
> > Poor Marcin, he is so misinformed by bad people trying to spoil ATA stuff.
>
> Well yes, I have waited to see who could solve the double timer and double
> handler issue since I never got to include the correct solution before it
> was ripped out of my hands. The was a nice big private flamewar where
> much of the lot in 2.5 made claims they could read and code to state
> diagrams. OOPS where is the code? The error still exists, but not in 2.4.
>
> At this point I have two solutions and trying to determine which is the
> best. The current one works, but have observed random extra interrupt on
> traces. Now the second model is not tested but in practice would not need
> the check for possible handler race which causes the fore mentioned.
>
> I guess I should now resubmit another patch, since the 2.5.7 was DOA, to
> fix the transport layer problem. However unless there is an in-process
> flag for walking BIO's it will only make the communication correct. It
> will still violate the nature of the state diagrams proper. It is a
> development kernel, and who cares if it blows your data on an error.
> This happens because at the time, there was not a usable means to protect
> the BIOS walked during the operations of the hardware atomic segment.
>
> So any BIOS/BH's traversed are at risk of there is a media error or any
> other error event.

Yes, broken multi-PIO.

> > > He actual has nearly the same model I was working on to use fucntion
> >
> > It is really funny... but some people read code and know facts...
>
> And some of us do not publish all there work because it needs to be a
> complete solution as not to damage peoples data.
>
> > > pointers in the style of "MiniPort (tm)". I will explain why this is
> > > desired later.
> >
> > in Q4 I guess
>
> Nah, in Q3 with Serial ATA which requires a much more dynamic driver.
>
> > What a nice FUD.
> > What is this major design flaw? Experimental (on demand) code in piix
>
> This is typical style from the PIO5 issue in the past to expanding the VIA
> variable clockbase cruft to hardware which can only operate in 33 or 66
> reference baseclock. Any other chipsets which do specific things with
> timing ... ie HPT366/37X, CMD/SiI680, PDC20262 and above with PLL timers
> to setup and properly phase.
>
> So now you have multiple cases where the hardware does things total different
> then the cruft added to them, and the "working toser code of mine" deleted.
>
> So now pick up the pieces.
>
> switch (amd_clock) {
> case 33000: amd_clock = 33333; break;
> case 37000: amd_clock = 37500; break;
> case 41000: amd_clock = 41666; break;
> }
>
> Please somebody tell me where in the AMD hardware spec it allow the base
> clock to be anything but 33MHz ? So instead of preventing people from
> forcing the driver into bogus modes in the past, it now promotes
> stupidity.

So what should we do in case of overclocked PCI bus?
Get overclocked ATA or try to mess with timings?

> switch (piix_clock) {
> case 33000: piix_clock = 33333; break;
> case 37000: piix_clock = 37500; break;
> case 41000: piix_clock = 41666; break;
> }
>
> Also repeat for INTEL ...
> Oh and exclude the point about clock as 66 or 100 cause the option is not
> here even. Since the registers referred to are for internal silicon
> triggers which have a base origin of 33 .... sheesh why to I bother!
>
> Look it still exists even after explaining many times of trying to make
> the point!
>
> /*
> * $Id: ata-timing.c,v 2.0 2002/03/12 15:48:43 vojtech Exp $
> *
> * Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Vojtech Pavlik
> *
> * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
>
> { XFER_SW_DMA_1, 90, 0, 0, 0, 240, 240, 480, 0 },
> { XFER_SW_DMA_0, 120, 0, 0, 0, 480, 480, 960, 0 },
>
> { XFER_PIO_5, 20, 50, 30, 100, 50, 30, 100, 0 },
> { XFER_PIO_4, 25, 70, 25, 120, 70, 25, 120, 0 },
>
> NICE
>
> /* EIDE PIO modes */
> if ((map & XFER_EPIO) && (id->field_valid & 2)) {
> if ((best = (drive->id->eide_pio_modes & 4) ? XFER_PIO_5 :
> (drive->id->eide_pio_modes & 2) ? XFER_PIO_4 :
> (drive->id->eide_pio_modes & 1) ? XFER_PIO_3 : 0))
> return best;
> }
>

> For some reason I can not find XFER_PIO_5 any where in the standard.
> So where did the value come from?
> Do I have a test for (drive->id->eide_pio_modes & 4), yes.
> The difference is I know to never permit XFER_PIO_5 ever being set.
>
> BETTER
>
> /* Lenghten active & recovery time so that cycle time is correct.
> */
>
> if (t->act8b + t->rec8b < t->cyc8b) {
> t->act8b += (t->cyc8b - (t->act8b + t->rec8b)) / 2;
> t->rec8b = t->cyc8b - t->act8b;
> }
>
> if (t->active + t->recover < t->cycle) {
> t->active += (t->cycle - (t->active + t->recover)) / 2;
> t->recover = t->cycle - t->active;
> }

It is legal according to ATA spec.
So all hosts are broken in this respect?

> Instead of using the fixed and bounded PIO timing values as set forward by
> the OEM Chip makers, who know best how their product works. 2.5 now has
> this charming piece of crap which admits to dorking up the command block
> transfer timing execution. OUCH.

So they are generally broken? If so why there are even registers for
setting timings, they could have done tables in hardware?

> Now recall me being called a LIAR by PINHEAD.
>
> If the drivers baseclock gets fubar'd, thus the PIO taskfile or ata
> command block execution (how to talk to the hardware), the driver will
> begin to corrupt events.
>
> PINHEAD, look it happened and you were not even watching.
> Your blind hatered of me being correct again has come back to visit.
>
> BEST!
>
> /*
> * PIO 0-5, MWDMA 0-2 and UDMA 0-6 timings (in nanoseconds). These were taken
> * from ATA/ATAPI-6 standard, rev 0a, except for PIO 5, which is a nonstandard
> * extension and UDMA6, which is currently supported only by Maxtor drives.
> */
>
> I wish somebody would inform Maxtor so it can be made public.
> On monday I will call one of my contacts there who writes the
> diskware/firmware, I am sure he will need a good laugh at the beginning of
> the week.

Why, I cant get it.

> > driver? Or you no longer being ATA maintainer?
>
> No check the file.
>
> > Ok, I really wanted to be quiet, but this time it is too much...
> > sorry for bad words/irony but that is how things look like...
>
> I wish you had because, you will soon find out how right I am at the
> hardware transport layer.
>
> > Some people (me included) are putting much effort in cleaning/improving
> > all this mess, and you keep spreading FUD and discrediting them.
>
> Well I have admitted in the past and will again, my coding style sucks.
> Now given the choice between ugly code which is technically correct, or
> elegantly written to be technically wrong.
>
> The latter will not provide usable reports to fix it, while the former
> will allow one to make it elegant.

I will try to make the best of the two worlds.

> Sincerely,
>
> Andre Hedrick
> LAD Storage Consulting Group
>
> PS "PINHEAD" is the endearing term generally used to refer to Torvalds, by
> may of the mainsteam developers.

Anyway, thanks for input Andre...

--
Bartlomiej