Re: Fw: DriveReady SeekComplete problems

From: Artur Jasowicz (arturj@mousebusiness.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 23:06:39 EST

Actually, I did something along these lines early on in testing. I had four
diferent drives plugged in. I had one 6GB, two 80GB and one 160GB. I've
tried doing dd if=/dev/hd... of=/dev/null. This was with DMA on. Everything
seemed to work fine with up to three drives, but after I've issused above
command for the fourth drive, I started getting errror messages. Now, to my
knowledge I'm not using a Highpoint driver. I'm just letting Kernel detect
whatever it sees and use it.

Today, I've tried mkraid on 4-drive config. With DMA disabled it seemed to
work without errors at miserable 500K/s reported by /proc/mdstat. Even my
old K6-2 333 with four 80GB on two IWills ran at 800+K/s. You would expect
more from a dual 2GHz. With DMA enabled I got 2000K/s with log full of the
same errors again.

Another odd thing is that both CPUs are running at 99% usage when trying to
sync array. Strange for 4GHz total clock speed. I was expecting that such
fast CPU's would barely break the sweat doing IDE I/O.

Any other IDE controllers I should be looking at?

Artur

From: Pieter Hollants <pieter@hollants.com>